Getting stuck off-road is a common sight nowadays. It doesn't take much to get stuck on a grassy campsite, a muddy field, or a soft sand track. A well-equipped 4x4 recovery kit is crucial when you are taking your vehicle off the tarmac.
A 4x4 recovery gear is not enough to get you out of a sticky situation, you need to know what to do with it. Learn the purpose of each piece of equipment and how to use it.
Here is a collection of off-road recovery gear you need for a safe 4x4 life.
- Portable air compressor – it is used to release air. Reducing tire pressure widens it and improves grip. This is helpful on soft sand, muddy surfaces, and loose tracks.
- Tire deflators – these brass caps that release pressure out to a set level.
- Plastic traction recovery tracks – they are placed under the wheels to provide a short run of grip. They will create an initial run to help you drive out of the sticky situation.
- Shovel – it is used to clear obstructions and filling holes and trenches with the desired material.
- Tow rope – can be hooked to another vehicle for off-road recovery through towing.
- Hi-lift jacks – used for heavy lifting and winching.
- Chains – they are strapped on the driving wheels to provide grip, especially on snow.
- Slings and straps – they include a winch extension strap, a tree trunk protector, and a snatch strap.
- Hard parts – these include rated bow shackles and a snatch block.
When driving off-road, you might get stuck. Make sure you are prepared for the trip ahead by choosing the right gear. When necessary, engage your diff locks and the 4x4 recovery gear. Adjust the tire pressure to the desired level and wear snow chains when needed.
Vehicles are equipped with an emergency box and a first aid kit. To be good at off-road recovery, you need to adequately prepare for any incidences. Don't assume your off-road drive will go according to plan. Pack your 4x4 recovery gear in readiness for any occurrence.
In your spare time, practice 4x4 recovery. With the right gear, know-how, and practice, you can get yourself out of most situations. The list of the items you pack can make the difference between getting stuck and getting to your destination. Getting prepared for such unexpected situations will save you from so much trouble and frustration. For a smooth and easy off-road recovery, you can engage a 4x4 recovery specialist.
If you have questions about 4x4 recovery, contact a local auto or towing professional.